Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Rainy day

Hola all from Livingston, Izabal, Guatemala. It´s raining and there´s not much else to do, so I figured I´d update the folks.

Livingston is on the Carribean coast of Guatemala, and is very different than anywhere else I´ve been in this country. I´m currently traveling with one of my best friends who came here for three weeks on her way home to California after three and a half months in South America. Livingston is very funky, and a unique mix of African slave descendents and indegenous Maya. I have finally found a place where the Guatemalans are as tall or taller than me. I guess that´s typical of African descendent folks though. But I´m eating it up. I will admit it´s a bit strange to hear the black folks here speaking spanish, since I´m used to hearing Carribean residents speaking Creole or something of the like. I like it here a lot, feels like I´m on a vacation from the rest of Guatemala with out leaving Guatemala, whoop!

We arrived here via a two hour boat tour down the Rio Dulce, a beautiful, jungle lined river in southeastern Guatemala in the state of Izabal. And we are leaving tomorrow to take a boat to Puerto Barrios and then catch a bus up to Flores, where the ruins of Tikal are(Tikal is like the Pyramids of Egypt, one does not come to Guatemala and skip Tikal). My friend wants to see the ruins, naturally, but I am not going again as I was just there with the mom and have been before that another time.

I wish I could be more witty and entertaining, however, the rain has dulled my luster. Too bad, so sad. Guess I´ll dig deeper for my awesome writing skills when mi amiga is at the ruins and I´m resting my weary travelers feet in the internet cafés of Flores.

No comments: