Monday, February 2, 2009

4th of July Jr.

This is my new name for SuperBowl Sunday as it is a coming together of all things American, minus the fireworks, but they set those off every day here in Guatemala. Even if the SuperBowl is in Mexican spanish broadcast, the pork tenderloin and baked beans make up for it. And as an understander of the holy game of American football, Spanish or English, I was in the game. What about that interception for a 100yd return for a TD by the Steelers! I am fighting the tears of joy like I´ve actually paid attention to the NFL this season.

I "partied"(translation: watched the game and ate)at la Piscina, the local swimming pool, but please don´t have visions of a Guatemalan swimming pool(shivers of grossness). This pool is owned by a Quebequois and is immaculately maintained. My roommate Gary set up his projector and we watched the Spanish SuperBowl on a big screen!!! As aforementioned, I also enjoyed pork tenderloin BBQ with many delicious sides to properly gorge myself like the American I am. I even spoke Americanese with other gringos, a welcome change to my slow choppy English I speak with all the second language English speakers I encounter daily. Life is good!

Not to mention the Mexican SuperBowl commercials. Yeah, America really is a lot better at some things. But being that the Super
Bowl is American, we rule the school on commercials too. BO$$, as my brother and I say.

Either way, 4th of July Jr. this year was really good and a fine reminder of how delicious pork tenderloin is.

The time has come that I am settling in for real in San Pedro. I am here to stay after a bit of traveling. I know I have not yet mentioned, but I am living in a house. I moved in about a month and a half ago, with a Canadian, an Israeli, and tomorrow my friend Lesley from Colorado moves in for two months. I call it "The Real World, San Pedro".

The time to write all things San Pedro has come as well, I know I promised this many postings ago. This town is one crazy combination of everything hilarious. I mean if watching the SuperBowl in Spanish at a Guatemalan pool owned by a Canadian and calling it 4th of July Jr. isn´t enough, then, well, just tune in soon and your cravings will be satisfied . . . . . . .

1 comment:

Colemans said...

Mmmm...pork tenderloin. It was probably slow cooked in all the right spices and juices. Beats the heck out of my ghettochilada and canned corn for lunch today.